distantstitcher

I created this blog to record my progress through Sian Martin's Distant Stitch Diploma course. As she is in the UK and I am in Australia this seems to be a great way for her to watch my progress, and ultimately I hope be a complete record of the whole journey. Any useful/helpful/supportive/even positive comments you would like to leave would be very welcome; comments of the other sort will be accepted.

Thursday, September 28, 2006

research study theme

seed pods

I have decided to use Seed Pods as the theme for my research study.

Seed pods have long fascinated me – the sheer variety of shapes, scale, mass and colour is infinite but each has the same purpose: propagation of the species. And to put the icing on the cake, they are all quite beautifully and perfectly designed.

I have developed a strong interest in making three dimensional embroideries and vessels. The two interests seem to intersect and match perfectly, like peaches and cream.

One of my other passions is colour, and with seed pods I have the best of both worlds. On the one hand there is a wide range of hues represented in seed pods; on the other is the discipline of discerning and reproducing the infinite variations within say, brown or grey.

I believe that an up-close-and-personal study of various seed pods will enable me to produce a body of work ranging from wearable art to wall hangings and vessels in both large and small scale.


words associated with seed pods

small, large, tiny smooth,
rough, hard, soft, bumpy, heavy, light, symmetry
falling, flying, attaching, burrowing, adhering
shiny, matt, dark, light
round, cylindrical, pointed, flat, long, conical, ovoid
brown, grey, green, red, purple, black, yellow
trees, shrubs, garden flowers, bush/woodland flowers, grasses, vines
fruits, vegetables, eggs
cold, freezing, hot, fire
protection, propagation, reproduction
nurture, nourish, new life, death